This is ME.

This is ME.

Friday, March 9, 2012

Round #1 of Steroids - (Late Post from Thursday)

Today was Round #1 of the steroid shots. Those that are close to me know that I was really freaking out about the whole situation. I started reading up last night about the whole procedure, risks, and contraindications for me and for Emmalyn. I figured that information was power, and I wouldn’t be so anxious if I knew what to expect. Let me just tell you, THAT WAS A BAD IDEA. I found information on credible medical websites (including but not limited to the FDA website, and the website of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology) stating that a doctor prescribes the corticosteroids when labor is expected within 7 days, and that there are explicit contraindications between the steroids and the blood pressure medicine I’m on to stop contractions, etc…. That just made things so much worse. I couldn’t put my mind at ease after my research, but I did manage to just ignore my worst thoughts.

We got up to LDR around 1pm, expecting to get the shot right away, be monitored for any kind of reaction, and on our way within an hour or so. Well, because I had my bloody show late last night (I’ll say again- it’s a blog about pregnancy… what’d you expect?), they decided to check to see if my water had broken, and the nurse and/or doctor decided to monitor me and Em for almost 2 hours before I got the shot. No, my water hadn’t broken, Yes, I was having mostly painless regular contractions on the monitor the entire time we were there. But they decided I was ok enough for the shot around 2:45pm. THAT CRAP HURTS. It has to be given in the butt, apparently. It burns like crazy, and the burning feeling spreads like a wildfire! But as soon as my nurse gave me the shot, she answered a few questions for Matt and I, told me I could get dressed and leave. Apparently tomorrow I just go up there to et the shot between 2p-3p, no monitoring necessary. We’ll see if it really happens that fast J

No comments:

Post a Comment